Re: IDE-SCSI Hard Crash

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:41:22 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Helge Hafting wrote:

> The transfer without dma is supposed to be a little slower.
> This could be delay enough to avoid timeout on the fast ide-cdrom.
>
> If that's all, consider modifying cdrecord so it polls the reading
> cdrom now and then preventing timeout.
> Or use a smaller buffer so there won't be time for timing out.
> Or a much bigger buffer, so there will be time for spinning up.

Possible, but I a referring to the usual 1 meg buffer on the burner as the
point of underrun. This is a hardware constaint IMHO, and the object is
to keep this full as much as possible.

Cheers,
Andre Hedrick
The (NEW) Linux IDE guy

http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/

You just need a bigger hammer, or learn how to swing the one you have better.