Re: PPP bug

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:26:34 +0200 (EET)

"Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> wrote:
> The +++ sequence in a packet can't affect the modem because you
> need at least 500ms (lowest you can set it) of quiet after the sequence to
> change its mode. The data strings will never be the last thing sent, so
> you can't get 500ms between characters no matter how hard you try.

Yes, that is how those manufacturers that have paid royalties to Hayes
are doing it. (Or perhaps the issue is just sloppynes of emulation; anyway,
Hayes has a patent at that breakage sequence along with idle "safety"
periods both sides of it.)

Like has been mentioned here recently (last week, I recall), if you have
this problem, turn off the local modem escape by issuing AT S2=255
command before doing dialing; or dial by:
ATS2=255DTnnnnnnnnnnn
that is, prefix the dial command (DTnnnn) with escape disable command.

Check your modem manual for the S-register number, and disabling value.
Document I used said 'escape is turned off with any value above 127'.

If the problem is at your ISP's side, then you need to inform them.