Re: smbfs caching

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 19:10:19 +1300

On Sat, Jan 23, 1999 at 05:44:48AM +0000, Tom Eastep wrote:

> However, if you are using a Microsoft client to copy something
> large over a slow WAN via SMB, you can kiss off using your machine
> for anything else until the copy completes (I've observed this
> using Win95, Win NT and Win98). If you are using a Samba client,
> you can at least continue to use your machine of other work...

Copying from NT server is really fun too -- it tried to bring the
entire file into memory. For, pulling a 400MB (database dump) file
off a NT box via SMB sucks rocks -- the machine starts swapping (only
have 256MB of RAM) and thrashes really badly, eventually the file
will copy, but it takes a _long_ time.

There are fixes for this -- but its silly I have to code a custom
Win32 app. to get around this. Grrr... bad M$.

-cw