Re: That whole Netscape problem...(worse as approaches 2.2.0 release)

Andrus Kangro (andrusk@ml.ee)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:44:47 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

I'm running 2.2.0-final, compiled and installed it today.
I'm using Netscape 4.5 libc5 and haven't noticed any unusual problems
from 2.0.36 jumping to 2.1.131 and up to 2.2.0-final. (I have to close and
reopen it after couple of days, as it grows unnecessary big in memory and
gets slower and slower)

May-be this is not netscape nor kernel problem, you just have to upgrade
or recompile some package? (I had to recompile pcmcia-cs-3.0.7, had nice
oops otherwise:-) Are you using old (or unstable snapshots from) (g)libc
for excample?

Best regards,
Andrus Kangro

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Graham TerMarsch wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:48:31 +0000
> From: Graham TerMarsch <gtermars@home.com>
> To: ptb@it.uc3m.es
> Cc: doctor@fruitbat.org, plexus@ionet.net, shahin@ist.flinders.edu.au,
linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: That whole Netscape problem...(worse as approaches 2.2.0 release)
>
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> > "A month of sundays ago doctor@fruitbat.org wrote:"
> > > I find it interesting that many people have this problem with Netscape.
> > > I've been running 4.51 for around 4 months (under 2.0.x) and never had it
> > > hang or die. With previous releases of Netscape there was some
> >
> [.....snip.....]
> >
> > kernel 2.0.25-36, libc 5.4.38-46, ld.so 1.9.5. Watch out for ld.so
> > with higher numbers, which I have found to do bad things to some
> > convoluted things like java workshop.
>
> >From your msg here I see that you're running an older kernel, which puts your
> machine into a different category. My original problem that I was having was
> that as we've moved closer to 2.2.0 release, Netscape seems to have become
> more and more unstable. This morning I installed 2.2.0pre8 and tried that
> out; couldn't even keep Netscape open for more than a few minutes before it
> just hung and I had to kill the process. So, for fun I backdated myself to a
> 2.1.132 kernel; haven't had to kill Netscape at all since then (which is a far
> cry from about every 10 or 15 minutes).
>
> It seems that some patch that got put into the kernel recently has at least
> uncovered another bug in Netscape, and it's one that makes it almost
> unusable. Unfortunately, being that it's something that's in fairly
/ .... /