Re: question about sblive and linux

Ben Hutchings (womble@zzumbouk.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 00:45:13 +0000

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 10:05:26AM +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
<snip>
> > So, what we end up having to do is a lot of work to emulate and trap these I/O
> > ranges, and to respond to the IRQ/DMA requests all the while maintaining the
> None of this emulation will be necessary under linux. Because linux programs,
> even games, use the device drivers exclusively.
> I hope a linux driver will be written to use the chip as-is, and not
> do any sort of useless emulation that only waste CPU time.
>
> Emulation may be useful for those who run dos games with DOSEMU/WINE, but
> certainly
> not for any of the many linux programs that use sound. Such emulation
> should be part of those packages, not a driver.
<snip>

Dosemu already has SoundBlaster emulation through OSS. Wine doesn't
need it, since Windows programs are expected to use the Windows
audio drivers.

--
Ben Hutchings, software engineer | web site to be reconstructed at some time
womble@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk | Team *AMIGA* | Jay Miner Society - www.jms.org