Re: RH linux kernel woes

Arvind Sankar (arvinds@mit.edu)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 00:02:03 -0500

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 11:23:04AM -0500, Caine the Wanderer wrote:
> At the risk of being severely flamed, I have a very simple question. If I
> wanted to build a kernel on a redhat 5.1 machine and install it properly,
> how would I go about doing this. I have tried the normal technique of
> "make xconfig", configure the kernel, then "make dep ; make clean ; make
> zlilo" but the kernel gets deposited into the wrong area (/ instead of
> /boot). While examining /boot, I realized that there is a lot more junk
> in there than just System.map and vmlinuz. Should I just place the new
> kernel and System.map over the old or what? Again, I am used to Slackware
> systems so this is a little strange for me. Please help. Thanks.

You don't have to overwrite anything. Just copy vmlinuz into /boot and give it
a nice name. Edit lilo.conf to point to it by copying the old stuff (and leave
the old stuff in there so u don't need a floppy if something is the matter with
your new kernel). You don't need to overwrite System.map. AFAIK, it is used by
klogd, ksymoops and some others of that ilk, and they search /boot,
/usr/src/linux and /, and obtain the correct version so you shouldn't be
bothered unless you plan to delete the source tree, or have more than two
kernels floating around, or more than one kernel with the same version.

-- arvind