Re: cpuid? (was: K6 write allocate)

Matthias Andree (mandree@sx1.HRZ.Uni-Dortmund.DE)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 03:51:35 +0100

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 02:17:01AM +0300, Alexey Vyskubov wrote:
> Uh-oh. It seems we have some problem here. There are two different K6-2:
>
> model 8 /[7:0] and model 8 /[F:8].
>
> One should deal with write allocate on these models in completely different
> ways.

Not really since model 6, 7 and 8/[7:0] share the same way, only the
model 8 (K6-2) steppings 8..15 (heard about "CTX" core or something) is
different since it allows for more detailed configuration.

> It seems there are no differences in /proc/cpuinfo for /[7:0] and /[F:8].

Yes, the stepping is different. However, the CPU ID string need not
necessarily change, that's true.

> Well, I could add some additional cpuid-like activity to kernel, but I
> should know before: is it superfluous? Maybe it's already done?

Check my other mail on the list regarding K6-2 misdetection and
stepping fix for ideas.

--
Matthias Andree