Re: Cursor and Mono MDA display

Bill Heagy (wheagy@odyssey.on.ca)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:31:50 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, H.J. Lu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a strange problem with cursor and mono MDA display under
> Linux 2.1.131. For some reason, if I turn off the computer,
> the cursor won't show up until I do a reboot. It seems that
> something in shutdown/reboot sequence fixes the cursor on mono
> MDA card. BTW, I am running RedHat 5.2.

I've noticed similar effects on many recent kernels (including 2.2.0.....)
on a 386sx16 with an old Hercules clone video card. Sometimes I have a
cursor, sometimes I don't, and I haven't detected any patter re reboot
etc.. I suspect a timing problem, i.e. that the cursor may actually be
"there", just not visible, as often it is just weakly visible. Since the
only thing the machine is used for is checking to see if the latest
release can "make modules" as quickly as 2.0.36, I don't really care too
much. (So far 2.0.36 on my configuration wins by at least a factor of 3,
often 10. Obviously I have swapping problems.)

I might add that this machine hangs in the floating point check in bugs.h
if I don't comment out a bit, although I doubt if there is any relationship
between the two problems. (include/asm-i386/bugs.h line 81 as of
2.2.0pre8)

---
Bill Heagy                                  mailto:wheagy@odyssey.on.ca
1006 - 1 Grosvenor Street                   http://www.odyssey.on.ca/~wheagy
London, Ontario N6A 1Y2                     phone (519)663-9180
Canada