Re: Linux and physical memory

Jakub Jelinek (jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:07:07 +0100 (CET)

> From: Jakub Jelinek <jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:37:54 +0100 (CET)
>
> Also, if you add PG_highmem, I bet current page_alloc will suck
> badly (even the way how is PG_dma done now is very unefficient).
>
> No, it's actually pretty simple. The difference is that PG_dma "must"
> get a PG_dma page. Whereas PG_highmem says such a page is "OK" if
> that is what you happen to find.

Yep, but I guess you'd like to get a PG_highmem page if you can handle it,
so that for other allocations there are still enough lowmems.
So yes, it could work with some effort, but the page_alloc changes would be
handy even for that.

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University