Re: ISSUE: psaux does not load in 2.2.0pre6

Charles Cazabon (charlesc-linux@qcc.sk.ca)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:20:48 -0600

Gregory Maxwell <linker@z.ml.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> > Actually, on a lot of hardware, inserting on removing a PS/2 mouse or keyboard
> > while powered-on can fry the keyboard controller chip on the motherboard.
> > It will work 99 times out of 100, but every so often the hardware will blow up.
> > I've seen over a dozen machines fried this way over the years.
>
> Intresting... Just recently we connected a ps2 mouse and keyboard to an LX
> MB through a mechanical switch and switched it several hundred times. No
> problems.

I knew I should have qualified this. Most PS/2 style switchboxes are safe;
I'm not sure what the difference is, not having taken one apart. Perhaps a
load-terminating resistor to prevent spikes when equipment is plugged in or
out.

Charles Cazabon