Re: Internal Modems

Phil Brutsche (pbrutsch@creighton.edu)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:16:30 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 wloera@ibm.net wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My question is about internal modems that are comaptible with Linux. I
> am looking to upgrade/repalce to the new 56K standard. What are some
> good/fast internal modems out on the market now that easily compatbile
> with Linux?
>
> Can you recomend a few mfr/brands?
Basically you should use a modem that's MS-DOS compatible - that's the
easiest way to ensure compatibility with Linux. Personally, I have a Zoom
56k internal modem it works great most of the time: sometimes I get lots
of rx errors when I do PPP, sometimes no rx errors. When I do get the rx
erros, all I can do to get use of the modem back is to log off from my
ISP, unload the serial driver (I use highly modular kernels - I statically
compile pretty much only what's needed at boot time), and walk away for a
couple hours. Only then will the modem work again.

Of course, it works perfect each and every time under plain MS-DOS and
Windows95.