Re: (un)corrupted ext2 partitions

Benny Amorsen (amorsen@sscnet.com)
14 Jan 1999 10:25:07 +0100

BG> Is is time for somebody come up with our own (sub-)partitioning
BG> scheme then? Something that is more robust and more flexible that
BG> DOS's aging and broken scheme. Flexible meaning that it has a much
BG> larger limit on the number of partitions without having to resort
BG> to "extended" partitions (16, 32?), and uses logical sector
BG> numbers instead of whole cylinders (relying on disk geometry is
BG> getting to be a pain in the *ss).

The linux kernel supports BSD partitions. I think it would be stupid
to invent another scheme. Rather, the linux distributors should
include BSD partition support in their installation programs. I would
love to be able to install linux, complete with separate root, usr,
home, and swap, in just one DOS partition.

Benny