Re: (un)corrupted ext2 partitions

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:57:04 -0500 (EST)

Brian Gerst writes:
> Is is time for somebody come up with our own (sub-)partitioning scheme
> then? Something that is more robust and more flexible that DOS's aging

No, there are too many already. Try the MacOS or BSD scheme.
Soon we will need to reverse engineer the Windows 2000 scheme.
(note that it might only be available with new hardware)

> Redundancy of the partition table would also be a good thing,
> like having an extra copy at the end of the disk.

If you must... Take 64 kB at both beginning and end of every
partition. (for safety and filesystem compatibility, don't let the
data be part of the partition as viewed in /dev) Use a circular doubly
linked list with checksums, versioned updates, 128-bit magic numbers,
and duplicate data in the neighboring partitions.

> I noticed that there is a "linux extended partition" type (0x85),
> but it seems to only do the same thing as DOS extended partitions,
> except that it is probably ignored by DOS/WIN.

Yes. It was fast and easy. It worked OK with the old fdisk.