Re: MM deadlock [was: Re: arca-vm-8...]

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:03:41 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> Suspect makes me kind of nervous. Especially so close to 2.2 and given the
> normal results of making a bad file system error.

Another way to fix the thing could be to left only to kswapd the work to
sync shared-mmapped page out to disk when needed. We could wakeup kswapd
from the inside of filemap_swapout... It's dirty but should work fine
without the need of reentrant semaphores. BTW, before my
always-async-swapout idea kswapd was hiding the bug pretty well ;).

Personally I like far more the clean solution but...

Andrea Arcangeli