Re: I vote for incrimenting the version number to 2.X.0

Pete - lk (lk@kelv.net)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 01:08:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Ed Yung wrote:

> Oh yes, this is a stupid issue to vote for.. Once again a comestic number.
> . . . It don't think it matters even if the number changed to 99 1/2.
> Most people are going to look at what's in Linux not a number.

Sorry to drag this out.... Personally, the 2.1 tree looks like its 2.0 on
nitrane. It doesn't look like a major version either. The next one series
probably will though. I do think that the version numbers should be
representative to the work thats gone into the product. Not forgetting
that linux devel halves the numbers available... Now if we cook all of
these all ideas together... how about 2.4 or 2.6. It leaves room for any
further 2.0 series (if something is done quick, eg those fs changes that
were going around a couple months ago.).

Whatyda think?
-Pete.