Re: bug in ppa driver

David Campbell (campbell@torque.net)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 08:42:40 +0800

Date sent: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:15:45 +0000 (GMT)
From: Tim Waugh <tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk>
To: christophe.leroy5@capway.com
Copies to: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, David Campbell <campbell@torque.net>
Subject: Re: bug in ppa driver

> On Fri, 8 Jan 1999 christophe.leroy5@capway.com wrote:
>
> > Yes i've tried it. Still the same:
> >
> > insmod lp
> > echo "coucou" >/dev/lp0 ...it prints
> > insmod ppa
> > echo "coucou" >/dev/lp0 lp0 is Offline
> > .... switch off switch on zip drive:
> > echo "coucou" >/dev/lp0 ...it prints
> >
> > ppa driver uses 32bits EPP
> > My printer is CANON BJ10SX

Strange, just a quick sanity check (to help isolate the problem), both ppa and
lp drivers work fine providing only one is loaded?

I will check this afternoon that ppa & lp combo work on my HP-DJ500 at home. If
my testing works then we either have a parallel port timing problem (hardware
specific) or the printer is very fussy about how the parallel port control
lines are touched.

eg: the state of the pass thru conector may not be "valid" as far as the
printer is concerned. I do remember there was something funny about a
particular inkjet printer missing a "phase" of the printer protocol which
caused the lp driver to freeze up, it was fixed several months ago (according
to the parport mailing list). I am wondering if it has come back to bite us
again.

David Campbell (perplexed)
campbell@torque.net
Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.

Current project list:
a) Get ZIP Plus drive back from waranty claim
b) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)