Re: C++ in kernel (was Re: exception in a device driver)

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:48:04 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

> Now... what Alan says about the difficulty of supporting it within the
> kernel may very well be the case - I don't know. That said, its time to start
> considering the future. C++ cannot be ignored by the kernel forever. The
> language just offers too much over plain C and was designed specifically with
> large-scale systems programming in mind.

IF we should consider a change to something that offers something better
than C, Objective C would be a far saner choice; it's easier for
C-programmers to grasp, it's far more pure and it's at least 99%
standardized.

But personally, I feel that object oriented programming in a kernel just
isn't a good idea. Too much inheritance that can break. And what can
break, will break...

/David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </