Re: Again PPP2.3.5 and 2.1.x

Mark-Andre Hopf (hopf@informatik.uni-rostock.de)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:40:44 +0100 (MET)

Catalin BOIE <util@deuroconsult.ro> wrote:

> Program pppd-2.3.5 works with virgin kernel 2.1.131 (no "make kernel" for
> ppp) but I'm not sure it is the way that follow all the people!

Hehe, don't worry, it does:

After another look at the ppp-2.3.5 package i saw that `make kernel'
doesn't make any modifications in the linux source tree because
`make kernel' involves a version check. And that's the reason for:

> I boot and I can run ppp but the kernel was not upgraded!

Wonderfull as it should. And when you

> ... upgrade manualy ppp.c in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/

you've passed the check that's implemented in the ppp-2.3.5 scripts. :)
Things just get really complicated when we believe them being complicated.

> I have another question: proxyarp works on 2.1.131? I test it and with
> 2.0.36 works but, in the same configuration, with 2.1.131 dosen't work!

Don't know.

Bye,
Mark