Re: SCSI opcodes

Major'Trips' (major@jimco-fwt.com)
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 07:49:49 -0600

Actually, MOVE MEDIUM can be found in detail in Chapter 16
of the 1994 SCSI-2 Specification Revision 10.

In Short .. it means move the Medium from point A to point B
and is a mandatory commnand in a SCSI Medium Changer.

It has an optional cousin EXCHANGE MEDIUM.

You would typically only find ussage for these commands in say,
a scsi Jukebox. i.e. to move a CD from Storage Element 0x01
to the Data Transfer Element 0x200 ( i.e. grab a CD from storage
and toss it into the silly drive. )

Noteably. There are 4-5 scsi-2 commands for scsi medium changers
not in the scsi.h, and one of the current commands has a name conflict
with the specification. Dunno if it matters since I would think
Jukebox control should be user land only anyhow.

> Umm, maybe MOVE_MEDIUM means that it starts spining the CD or winding the
> DAT tape.

   "Reality is what you can get away with!"
                      ++Robert Anton Wilson
   Major'Trips'
   E-Mail   : shadow@cyberwizards.com || major@jimco-fwt.com