Re: UDP bugs

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 05:38:57 -0800

From: Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 14:32:23 +0100

You wrote:
>Sounds like you found a bug in Solaris, not in Linux...

If the limit of 65507 Richard quoted is right then there is a off-by-one
bug somewhere - the limit should be 65508 for UDP (65536 - 20 bytes ip header
- 8 bytes UDP header) and 65516 for RAW sockets (and 65536 when IP_HDRINCL
is set). If the input limit is smaller this is a bug too.

Right, my current theory is that we get into trouble somewhere where
we align some header object and add the alignment residue into the
total length, get confused, and toss the packet because we think it is
too big. Or it's a simple ">=" vs. ">" test off by one bug.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com