Re: High UID support for Linux

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 19:20:27 -0500 (EST)

H. Peter Anvin writes:
> By author: "Albert D. Cahalan"
>
>> It is generally bad to go past 99999, since all sorts of reporting tools
>> get hopelessly messed up. It is _not_ an issue of "fix the tools" though,
>> since there simply isn't enough room on a standard 80-column display.
>> Imagine something like /bin/ps with lines wrapped... eww, unreadable mess!
>
> Actually, it *is* an issue of "fix the tools" -- the tools have to
> deal with it SOMEHOW properly.

Oh really... you can start with the standard 80x25 console.
I suppose you would require fbcon with a 6x9 font?

Currently all versions of ps will print large numbers, but the display
gets messed up. The new ps knows enough to realign the columns if it
can find some space elsewhere. Some tools (not mine) may run fields
together into one big 80-digit number.

This is simply a "no can do" on the standard console, standard xterm,
standard PC terminal emulator, and standard terminal hardware.

This sucks:

PID TTY TIME CMD
4685 tty1 00:00:12 xinit
12345 tty1 00:06:47 fvwm95
123456 tty1 00:01:19 nxterm
4771 tty1 00:00:31 xload
4769 tty1 00:00:12 FvwmButtons
12345678 tty1 00:10:21 nxterm
4772 tty1 00:01:32 FvwmPager
4774 tty1 00:00:36 nxterm
123456789 ttyp1 00:00:10 su
4777 ttyp1 00:00:08 bash
5263 tty1 00:00:31 nxterm

Before you suggest a dumb non-solution like "widen the field", consider
that formats like "ps s" and "ps -l" are already at the right margin.
Standards compliance and compatibility issues prevent removal of "junk"
columns and prevent simple format changes.

http://www.cs.uml.edu/~acahalan/linux/procps-981104.tar.gz