Re: Linux-asm (was A patch for linux 2.1.127)

Brad Kemp (kemp@indusriver.com)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:14:22 -0500

The first unix was on a
PDP-7 cross assembled and originally developed to
support game of `Space Travel`

>From Dennis Ritchie's home page
http://cm.bell-labs.com/~dmr/

The evolution of a Unix timeshare system
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/hist.html

At 08:38 AM 11/19/98 -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, George Bonser wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>>
>> > Unix was built on a Digital PDP-11/34, using tools available
>> > in the RSX-11 Digital Operation system. Most of the 'hardware stuff'
>> > was done in DEC MACRO Assembly under RSX-11.
>>
>> scuse me but the first Unix I saw was running on a PDP-8. It might have
>> originated on a PDP-6. Unix was written in C from the start according to
>> all the documentation I have read. Also, I saw Unix running on PDP systems
>
>> before the /34 was ever produced. This includes the 11/24 and 11/70.
>> Probably the best Unix installation I ever saw was a dual /44 system in
>> 1984. It was the first HA system I ever worked with. It had the beginnings
>> of what we now call RAID.
>>

>See "The UNIX Time-Sharing System", Vol 57, No.6 Part 2, pages 1905-
>1929, by Dennis Ritchie and K Thompson. The concepts were worked out
>on earlier machines.
>

>Cheers,
>Dick Johnson
> ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
>Penguin : Linux version 2.1.128 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
>Warning : It's hard to remain at the trailing edge of technology.
>

>-

--- -- --
Brad Kemp
Indus River Networks, Inc. BradKemp@indusriver.com