Re: A patch for nanosleep

H.J. Lu (hjl@lucon.org)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 10:36:57 -0800 (PST)

> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:29:20 -0800 (PST), H.J. Lu wrote:
> >
> >Here is an optimized nanosleep.c for glibc 2.
>
> [...]
>
> > /* Should we really block SIGCHLD? */
> > ignored = (oact.sa_handler == SIG_IGN);
> >
> > if (!ignored)
> > /* Restore the original signal mask. */
> > (void) sigprocmask (SIG_SETMASK, &oset, (sigset_t *) NULL);
> >
> > ret = __syscall_nanosleep (req, rem);
> >
> > if (ignored)
>
> These 'if' conditions are backward.

I don't think so. If SIGCHLD is ignored, we have to block SIGCHLD in
nanosleep. Otherwise, we have to restore the original signal mask.
Here is an update. I hope it is easier to understand.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)
----

The GNU C Library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

The GNU C Library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Library General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU Library General Public License along with the GNU C Library; see the file COPYING.LIB. If not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. */

#include <signal.h> #include <time.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <errno.h>

extern int __syscall_nanosleep (const struct timespec *req, struct timespec *rem);

int __nanosleep(const struct timespec *req, struct timespec *rem) { sigset_t set, oset; struct sigaction oact; int saved_errno; int ret;

/* Linux will wake up the system call, nanosleep, when SIGCHLD arrives even if SIGCHLD is ignored. We have to deal with it in libc. We block SIGCHLD first. */ if (sigemptyset (&set) < 0 || sigaddset (&set, SIGCHLD) < 0 || sigprocmask (SIG_BLOCK, &set, &oset)) return -1;

/* If SIGCHLD is already blocked, we don't have to do anything. */ if (!sigismember (&oset, SIGCHLD)) { /* We get the signal handler for SIGCHLD. */ if (sigaction (SIGCHLD, (struct sigaction *) NULL, &oact) < 0) { saved_errno = errno; /* Restore the original signal mask. */ (void) sigprocmask (SIG_SETMASK, &oset, (sigset_t *) NULL); __set_errno (saved_errno); return -1; }

if (oact.sa_handler == SIG_IGN) { /* We should leave SIGCHLD blocked. */ ret = __syscall_nanosleep (req, rem);

saved_errno = errno; /* Restore the original signal mask. */ (void) sigprocmask (SIG_SETMASK, &oset, (sigset_t *) NULL); __set_errno (saved_errno); } else { /* We should unblock SIGCHLD. Restore the original signal mask. */ (void) sigprocmask (SIG_SETMASK, &oset, (sigset_t *) NULL); ret = __syscall_nanosleep (req, rem); } } else ret = __syscall_nanosleep (req, rem);

return ret; }

weak_alias (__nanosleep, nanosleep)