Re: Multi-port Ethernet cards support? (hardware compatibility)

Richard Dynes (rdynes@sun1.varcom.com)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 08:55:11 -0500

> ------------------------------
>
> From: Evan Harris <eharris@puremagic.com>
> Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 19:11:41 -0600 (CST)
> Subject: Multi-port Ethernet cards support? (hardware compatibility)
>
> I need to build a linux router, and am looking for a list of multi-port (4
> or more port) ethernet cards that are compatible with linux. I did a look
> through the drivers and Doc directory in the kernel source, and there were
> a few mentions of using multiple cards, but I didn't see anything about
> multi-port cards.

There's a list on Donald Becker's site (http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html).

I have tested the ZYNX (http://www.znyx.com/) multi-port 100/10 CompactPCI card on 2.1.125. It's a 4 port Tulip card, and worked completely turn key as far as my tests went. I ran two of these boards, and so had 9 ethernet interfaces operating at once (one additional Tulip i/f was on the processor).

It took about 20 minutes from powering down the CPCI chassis to starting to ping the ports for another system...

--
    Richard Dynes
    Varcom Corporation           "Linux is NT's ultimate Service pack"