Re: kgdb on the alpha?

David Mosberger (david_mosberger@hp.com)
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:15:25 -0800

On Sat, Nov 07, 1998 at 04:10:41AM +0000, Doug Chapman wrote:
> I was looking into attempting to do some remote
> debugging on the alpha platform. This does not
> show up as an option in the 2.1.126 config. I
> do see that the sparc has support for it. Is
> this just not supported on the alpha or am I
> looking in the wrong place?

Rich> David Mosberger had patches for early 2.0 kernels, but they
Rich> touched init/main.c and Linus didn't like it.

No, it wasn't because of init/main.c changes---Linus just doesn't like
kernel debuggers in general.

Rich> You may still be able to find patches on ftp.azstarnet.com.

I think the latest bits are in:

ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/Kernels/alpha-patches-2.0.35-0.2.gz

Just look for "CONFIG_KGDB" in this patch (and you can safely ignore
the CONFIG_KGDB_TRACING patches).

No 2.1 bits, I'm afraid.

Note that you need two 64 bit systems to use kgdb. gdb isn't (or at
least wasn't) very good at cross debugging from a 32 to a 64 bit
system.

--david