Re: e2fsck...

Thu, 12 Nov 1998 11:10:59 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Mofeed Shahin wrote:

> So let me get this straight, If I want to check my file system for errors
> there is no problems, but if I want to fix any errors found I have to
> reboot via a boot disk, and then e2fsck the now unmounted drive ?
>
> If true (makes sense since it is a multitasking environment), then this is
> not so good for my internet gateway, which may have some corruption.
> But hey no use winging about it.
>
> Cheers Mof.

If the drive is still bootable, it's easier and faster to do....

At the LILO prompt hit ALT
Then at the boot prompt..
linux init=/bin/bash

The machine will boot into bash. No login necessary, do...

/sbin/fsck /

That will do the root device (it's mounted readonly by the kernel).
After that is through, `cat /etc/fstab` and fsck all the devices/
paritions the same way.

Once you are through, do `exec /sbin/init`. This will startup
init, still with pid 1, and you are through (unless you need to
sort out junk in /lost+found).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.127 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).