Re: Comments on Microsoft Open Source documentA

Tue, 10 Nov 1998 07:20:57 +0000

[utterly off topic]

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 01:34:46PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> FTP is dying, the main things that keep it alive are the fact http
> daemons are bad at handing out large files, and the fact http clients dont
> use byte ranges on broken file transfer retries.

...And the lack of a ncftp-2.x style client with filename completion
...And the lack of standard directory listings

Now if NFS weren't so slow over the phone I'd use that where available.
I use NFS almost exclusively for getting files from a mirror
(sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk) when at work -- it's just about perfect.

Maybe a cacheing httpfs (with some kind of directory listing) would do
the trick.

-- Jamie