Re: A patch for linux 2.1.127

Tue, 10 Nov 1998 07:45:16 +0000

On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 11:21:39PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> How about something simple like:
>
> if (SMALL_REGISTER_SET)
> never_inline_functions_unless_the_user_asked_for_it();
>
> which means that even with -O6 you would not inline functions unless they
> were marked inline.

Then just add `-fno-inline-functions' to the makefile instead. That's
distinct from `-fno-inline', which controls attention to explicit
`inline'.

Disclaimer: it *should* work... ;-)

> Note that this is not just a workaround for a bug.

By the sound of it, it's not a workaround at all. It suppresses the bug
in one case, but the bug is still present and may crop up again.

I'd still recommend -fno-inline-functions on grounds that the kernel is
full of inline fast cases calling out-of-line slow cases rarely, and
that's how we want it.

-- Jamie