Re: include file conflict

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 00:05:46 +0300 (MSK)

9-Nov-98 12:20 you wrote:
> Hello,

> I'm a lowly user, ascending to the heights of kernel space, please bear
> with me. I've read the kernel-FAQ, /usr/src/linux/Documentation/*, lkml
> and I have been watching this list for a week now.

> I got myself the 2.1.125 kernel about a week ago. My PnP modem and my
> 82c931 PnP soundcard both work fine now. Unfortunately, I also need a
> little program, "p3nfsd", which reads the memory of my psion organizer and
> makes its contents available as an NFS drive locally. The compilation
> process generates hundreds of errors, reporting redefinitions and
> inconsistencies of symbols between /usr/include/linux/wait.h and
> /usr/include/waitflags.h. These are only two of the many files where
> clashes occur. If anybody's really keen, I can send many pages of
> compilation transcript.

> I have a redhat 5.1 installation, which claims that the /usr/include/*
> files (as opposed to links) come from the glibc package. I couldn't find
> a later package than the one I have installed (the update from the rh
> site, 2.0.7-19) and I would expect that glibc should work with all
> manner of unices, therefore it is more likely that the files in
> /usr/include/linux are broken than the ones from glibc.

> Could anyone here please point me to some documentation on how this is
> meant to be? Eg, should I replace the linux headers, should I replace the
> glibc headers, is it not meant to work, will I need to do some serious
> hacking to fix it and contribute the result back to you, or how else
> could I get this resolved?

/usr/include/linux files SHOULD NOT be included in program. You must pull all
needed for this program stuff in separate .h file distributed with program
(if this is Linux-specific structures) or ask glibc folks to include this
structures in next version of glibc if this is non-linux specific structures.
If program use "#include <linux/something.h>" then this program is broken
in first place. Bug reports of this sort are sended directly to /dev/null by
kernel developers :-))