Re: Volume Managers in Linux

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 18:37:50 GMT

Hi,

On Thu, 05 Nov 1998 18:18:53 -0500, "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@kf8nh.apk.net> said:

> In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.981105095606.701A-100000@rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.
> at
>> , Andreas Kostyrka writes:
> +-----
> | > Bullshit. It's your fault for not putting quotas on it.
> | Hmmm.Ok, for starters:
> | -) How do you enable quotas >32bit?
> | Say luser X may produce 5GB data trash *g*?

Please try out the quota rpms on ftp.uk.linux.org:/pub/linux/sct/quota.
They _should_ work with very large quotas. The 32-bit (4GB) limit on
quotas actually came from the user-mode tools, not from the kernel. The
patched quota tools should work perfectly with arbitrarily large quotas:
the limit is still 2^32 (2^31 if you are worried about sign issues), but
we count in blocks, not bytes, so for a 1k block filesystem we are safe
for qoutas up to 2TB.

There will be a new official quota utils release once Marco and I finish
assembling any other patches that need to be applied.

--Stephen