Re: DLEDFORD IS GREAT

Mon, 9 Nov 1998 21:30:40 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Gerard Roudier wrote:

> > > *sigh* why are they spending so much money on SCSI adapters while good
> > > NCR/Symbios (53C8xx) solutions are in many cases slightly faster, have
> > > better Linux support... but that's not my topic.
> >
> > Speaking about quantity of resources for 53c8xx Linux support, that's
> > probably no more true and perhaps haven't been ever true.
> > Only speaking for my modest contribution to Linux, it is authentic free
> > software developped in my free time and not gratis commercial software.
> > My boss pay me for developping commercial software that is developped
> > under Linux but targetted to commercial platforms and he sells this
> > software, but Linux hacking happens at home.
>
> Ummm...wording this the way you did makes it sound as though the aic7xxx
> driver has been commercially developed. It never has. My work has been a

Your driver shares the so-called 'firmware' and associated tools with
the FreeBSD aic7xxx driver which seems extermally well maintained. It
is a resource and may-be it is the result of an independant contribution,
may-be it is not. I donnot know, but you probably know.

> matter of free-time investment all along with the exception of the last
> few days where I worked on company time to get this done. When I was at
> DialNet, I was on call 24x7 for 2 years and 10 months straight with only 2
> real breaks, one for ALS in 97 and one for linux expo in 98. I did my
> aic7xxx driver work whenever I could. When you are on call and expected
> to fix whatever problems 24x7, you can't really draw a line between
> "free-time at home" and "work". Especially when you worked from home
> anyway.

I have followed your effort for the Linux aic7xxx driver and I really
think you did a great work.

My concern is a more general problem:

All these $$ for Linux may lead to too much contributions by commercial
companies and to fiew independant contributions, because:

1 - Independant contributors have less time and resources.
2 - If the work is done by companies, independant contributor get useless,
and useless things generally disappear.

Now, if suddenly, for whatever reason, these companies will decide to stop
their linux $$ support, it may happen that independant contributors will
not be enough or have enough knowledge of Linux in order to maintain it
alive.

On the other hand, $$ may stear Linux in a so evil direction that some
famous contributors may decide to give up the project, just not to feel
them as idiot for the rest of their life.

Regards,
Gerard.