Re: DPT 2044W booting with SMP 2.0.3x kernel

C S Hendrix (shendrix@escape.widomaker.com)
Sun, 08 Nov 1998 21:28:49 -0500

In message <199811090139.MAA01114@harper.gist.net.au>, Allen Bolderoff writes:

> Please respond direct to me, as I am unable to join the lists. THANKS HEAPS!!
>
> I have a 2044W DPT controller card that has 48 MB cache & a raid 5
> implementation happening on it.

I have the exact controller on a dual PPro system, sans RAID module.

What version ROM does your DPT have?

Have you tried using the other DPT driver? It's listed right below
Mike Neuffer's eata_dma/eata_pio drivers in the kernel configuration.

> eata_dma: trying to reset HBA at d410 to clear possible blink stat
> HBA at 0xd410 does not react on INQUIRY. Sorry.
> scsc : 0 hosts.
> /lib/eata_dma.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
> VFS: Cannot open root device 08:06

Are you running any IDE drives on your system? Any other IDE devices?

What DPT BIOS settings are you using?

Not really releated to SMP operation, but I found that when using
eata_dma the driver could not find its port if I had an IDE hard
drive present on the first IDE controller. It didn't seem to
matter what DPT BIOS settings I used. This started happening for
me some time in the 2.0.x series kernels because on older versions
it worked fine.

I'm currently running both 2.0.35 and 2.1.124 kernels with my DPT
as the only hard drive controller in the system. This is with
Dario's driver due to other problems I have using eata_dma.

I can also get eata_dma working on 2.1.124 SMP, but something else
is wrong there. In /proc/interrupts I'll see 20K interrupts per
second attributed to eata_dma. Everything worked as far as I could
tell, but the system ran much slower, especially disk transfer
and graphics.

I think my ROM version is 7G0, but its been quite some time since
I've paid attention on bootup. If you want to know for sure,
I can check it next time I boot up.

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - InfiNet?