Re: current->timeout = jiffies + ? -> schedule_timeout(?)

Claus-Justus Heine (heine@math1.rwth-aachen.de)
09 Nov 1998 02:28:56 +0100

Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@csd.uu.se> writes:

> Linus Torvalds writes:
> > On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > >
> > > Is everything that does a 'current->timeout = jiffies + x;' obsolete and
> > > needing to be redone as 'schedule_timeout(x);'?
> >
> > Yes. However, I've done some of it already. Sending me patches is still a
> > good idea, though.
>
> Here's a patch for ftape which broke in pre-2.1.127-7.
> It seems to fix ftape for me, at least it compiles and
> basic operations (mt, tar cf, and tar xvf) seem to work.
> Caveat: ftape seems to want to issue repeated timeouts until
> certain events (usually an interrupt or expiration of a
> maximum time slice) so the diffs required a wee bit of though.
> I'm cc:ing this to the ftape maintainer (Claus-Justus Heine)
> so he can look them over.

The patches seem to be okay. BTW, the current 2.1.127 kernel will fail
to compile ftape correctly.

In drivers/char/ftape/lowlevel/fdc-io.c the "long timeout;"
declaration in line 391 should come before the TRACE_FUN(); statement
in line 390.

Mikael's patches were correct in this respect.

Claus

--
  Claus-Justus Heine
  heine@math1.rwth-aachen.de