Re: [MILES OFFTOPIC] Re: Hello Chinese student

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 11:31:42 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:

[re: upgrading Slack]
> What? Are you calling backing up everything on your 10Gig hard
> disk, formatting all partitions and installing a whole new
> distribution, then spending 3 months reconfiguring everything
> back to the state it was in before starting - impossible? It's
> actually quite easy, it just takes 3 months. ;o)
>
> Thats opposed to the 30 minutes or so it takes to upgrade a
> RedHat system.

<flame>
Mike, stop it! If you really need to demonstrate your incompetence
- find less offensive ways to do that, PLEASE. And that's it -
demonstration of incompetence. I'm not too fond of Slackware, but
a) system by itself doesn't take anywhere near 10G.
b) even reformat, yodda, yodda way _doesn't_ force you to mkfs
your /home. On any system.
c) 3 months isn't even a humor - it's blatant FUD. Or sign of
utter idiocy on part of admin. Take your pick.
d) if you didn't back up your /etc before _any_ upgrade on _any_
UNIX - you are idiot.
e) BTW, as for the 'backing everything up' - so, you don't do
it on regular basis? Should I say 'incremental backup strategy'?
f) Let's not go into warts of RH upgrade process - lusers can (and
do) burn their asses with RH too. Said that, it's none of their business
to touch the system-wide configuration. On _any_ OS.
</flame>