Re: Volume Managers in Linux

C S Hendrix (shendrix@escape.widomaker.com)
Wed, 04 Nov 1998 12:18:52 -0500

In message <36404707.5A403E61@xinit.se>, "Hans Eric =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sandstr=F6m"
?= writes:

> Please, Can anoyone explain to me why you want to create separate filesystems
> for
> / /usr /tmp/ /var /home. I really cant find any use for this! and I am spekin
> from over 10 yrs of experinece with lost of different unix systems here. And
>what
> I want is reliable systems that dont fail because some filesystem that went f
>ull.

One of the biggest reasons is to prevent denial of service problems
when a file system fills up. If all your trees are on a single file
system, a runaway program can crash your whole system.

/home is a good example of this... you could have a single user kill
your whole system. If /home is on a separate partition, only it
will fill up.

On my system / /var /var/tmp /tmp /home /usr /usr/local are all
separate partitions. No one of them filling up causes me much
pain.

Granted, I have to be pretty sure about how much space I'll use,
but I figure that out by tracking usage over long periods of time.
In fact, I'll probably reinstall my system at some point to
optimize the layout based on what I've learned by watching my
current space usage.

Also, partitions allow me to custom-tailor where certain I/O occurs.
If I have one disk that is slow I can put seldom used files on it.

--
csh - shendrix@widomaker.com - http://www.widomaker.com - Linux 2.0.x