Re: Comments on Microsoft Open Source document

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Wed, 04 Nov 1998 16:04:58 -0300

Johan Myreen <johan.myreen@setec.fi> said:
> On Wed, 04 Nov 1998, Dave DeMaagd wrote:

> >> To grow their featurebase, Linux has also liberally stolen features of
> >> other UNIX's (shell features, file systems, graphics, CPU ports)"

> >> This quote, taken from http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/halloween.html is
> >> most disturbing, mostly because it's not true. It has made me decide

> >What is so not true about that???

> I think the statement has some truth in it, but the examples are
> bad. First of all, Linux the *kernel* has not stolen any shell
> features, because the shell has nothing to do with the kernel.
> On the other hand, the "GNU/Linux System" (if you take that
> point of view) has not stolen many shell features either. To my
> knowledge, innovative shells like tcsh, zsh, bash have lived a
> life of their own, and have not been tied to any particular
> operating system.

MS sees "operating system" as the whole mess, it would seem. No portability
in sight...

Anyway, much more disturbing is the idea of "extending" the "too simple"
IETF protocols, and hinting at adding enough complexity and options that
"others" will have a hard time selecting what to implement first, and how.
If you look at the backwaters of the 'net (like around here), things don't
work so great because sysadmins of even larger corporations and mayor ISPs
around here don't get the basics straight... now think about what will
happen if the "wounderfully extended" protocols become the norm. the IETF
has an interesting enough life as is getting the "too simple" protocols to
work sanely, hardware/software providers and sysadmins have a hard time
understanding, implementing and exploiting the "too simple" stuff today.
I.e., imagine MS-mess but on Internet scale, not just desktop-scale. If you
can.

Scary. Real scary. Halloween stuff, definitely.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl