Re: Freeze on bad media (bad disk sector, scratched CD)

Trever Adams (highlander@teleteam.net)
Wed, 04 Nov 1998 13:08:13 -0600

Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Trever Adams wrote:
>
> > Just curious! Has anyone been able to get the alt-sysrq debug keys to
> > work while this is happening? If so can they post that info as well as
>
> <sysrq>-p is the key combination to use.
>
> Then you can use /boot/System.map to look up which
> function the kernel was looping in.
>

> The Advansys SCSI driver once had a bug like this. Using
> the above sysrq trick I managed to find the offending
> function. I changed it to a for() loop in the hope that
> the higher-up routines would be able to cope with the
> error. It turned out they could and now the Advansys
> driver has my small hack in it :)
>
> > Then again any fool can probably say the same.
>
> Even better, any fool can perform the hack I did
> and try to fix the driver themselves. Succes :-)
>
> Rik -- typing slowly because my kbd is dvorak since sun 19:40...

This is what I was hoping to do Rik. I just need the data from people
who have been having the problems (I don't have any bad/damages floppies
or cdrom's and I won't make one... floppy would be easy but I don't have
any to spare).

Would all those who have seen this problem please do as Rik suggested
(sysrq-p) and send me the results with valid lookups from System.map. I
would be more than happy to try and fix the problem. Post here or to me
directly if you would.

Thanks Rik,
Trever