Re: Kernel panic during boot (Can't get irq for primary IDE!)

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 15:47:06 GMT

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:15:28 -0500, Mark Lord <mlord@pobox.com> said:

> Thomas Iversen wrote:

>> With recent kernels (2.1.125) I sometimes get the following sequence at
>> boot. I have tried to get at clear picture of what's going on, and what
>> triggers the kernel panic. ...

>> ide0: UNABLE TO GET IRQ -12

> Some device is floating the IRQ12 line during probing,
> tricking the IDE driver into thinking that IRQ12 belongs to ide0.

I see exactly the same, about 30% of the time, when booting an old 486
on 2.1. It detects IDE 100% reliably on 2.0. The only difference is that
the IRQ in question this time is 10 (in use by an ne2k card, which of
course does not get probed for until later).

There does seem to be a regression.

--Stephen