Re: [Maybe Off-topic] Production Installations

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:00:38 +0000 (GMT)

> which is being marketed and known as a 'new-user distribution'. You can
> select packages and save your package selection in a file which can be saved
> on floppy (or elsewhere) and reloaded at will. They provide you with about
>
> I'd LOVE to see something like this in Debian 2.1 ... something like "dpkg
> --listpackages > packages.list" and "dpkg --installpackages < packages.list"
> or whatever. But thats for the debian mailing list :)

I would think you can fake it or set it up relatively easily. Red Hat
has "mkkickstart" that allows you to turn an install set into a description
file for the installer.

Its pretty common nowdays.