Re: [OFFTOPIC] UltraSparc MMU problems

Mitchell Blank Jr (mitch@execpc.com)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 06:14:19 -0600

David S. Miller wrote:
> BTW: we have FORE systems ATM cards in these machines, so that
> probably rules out Linux anyway :-(
>
> We have half-way done drivers for those, but there is still a lot of
> work to do. Actually if I remember correctly, these cards are very
> similar to the one's Werner Almesberger wrote drivers for in the
> Linux/ATM project. His were PCI but the chipsets are the same as the
> SBUS ones on Sparc systems.

The Linux/ATM stuff, BTW, is really nice... I've been using it for a while
with no problems. I think it's definately something to look at merging
early in the 2.3 cycle.

There are actually (at least) two different fore chipsets in use. The
cheaper ones (like the LE155) use the IDT Nicstar chipset. This is
supported (in PCI) now in the atm patch. Some of the higher end cards
(like the 200E) use a different chipset - there are drivers available
(again, PCI) but they haven't been incorporated with the main ATM patch
yet. Although Werner has certainly done alot of amazingly good work
as the leader of the Linux/ATM project I don't think he wrote either of
the Fore drivers - credit should go to Uwe Dannowski, Rui Prior, and
perhaps others.

For details on supported cards see:
http://lrcwww.epfl.ch/linux-atm/info.html

If the ATM card is based on one of those two chipsets I suspect it
wouldn't be too hard to convert them to sbus. It would definately be
interesting.

-Mitch