Re: ARMS WAVING!!! Proposal to fix /proc dainbrammage.

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:40:42 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Adam J. Richter wrote:

> This program would have to be changed with every change in the kernel,
> including additions of third party modules. Most items in /proc are not
> read often enough to have any client programs that would benefit from
> the faster access via sysctl when weighed against the complexity cost.
> In addition, the CPU cost involved in exec'ing this program for every
> read by the user program would be orders of magnitude higher than the
> overhead of parsing fields in /proc.

I think I shall spend next weekend coding up a insmod'able module that you
can call using ioctl() calls to retrieve kernel information (i.e
NR_PROCESSORS, TYPE_PROCESSORS et. al), perhaps have the ability to write
kernel parameters, and publish the code here. Any takers?

I know that making sysctl() calls is better but my Linux bible (Linux
Device Drivers) doesn't mention anything about it, and so I don't know if
it's possible to make sysctl() calls to a module, unfortunately. If I
could, then I'd use sysctl() instead of ioctl().

Then hopefully this will put an end to this debate - as then some of you
can use /proc and some of us can use ioctl() (or sysctl() if possible)
via this module.

Cheers,
Alex.

---