Re: 2.2.0 and egcs 1.1 was Re: Sorry, wrong gcc-version

Pete Chown (Pete.Chown@skygate.co.uk)
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:00:49 +0000

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In short, if you want to play safe stay with 2.7.2.3 for kernel
> compilation.

If this is necessary, could I suggest including a test in the Makefile
which refuses to build on other gcc versions? Otherwise, there are
going to be an awful lot of confused people out there. The following
will do it (just to save you a bit of time if you want to do this):

if [ `gcc -v 2>&1 | grep version | cut -c13-` != '2.7.2.3' ]; then
fi

Ideally I think the kernel should build with the most recent compiler
versions. Otherwise users will have to install two compilers at the
same time. (If you are working with C++ you have to use egcs or you
lose badly.)

If this is not possible (and I do understand your reasons for not
wanting to change) perhaps the makefiles should include support for
compilers which are not called "gcc". Then users could install egcs (or
whatever) as gcc, and gcc2.7.2.3 as gcc2723 or gccold.