Re: [patch] my latest oom stuff

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 18:48:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> The problem is still that kswapd run all the time (I can see it pressing
> the magic keys). Nothing except kswapd is running and the kernel deadlock.
> No other processes are allowed to generate a segfault while swapin or
> while allocing mmapped memory.

Note that my patch is not so much an oom() patch, as a "make it be
reasonably responsive under low memory circumstances". So as such it's not
doing the same thing your patches were doing, but complementing them.
However, your patches won't be applied unless they work well under the
"not out of memory yet, but we're under some bad pressure" case.

Also, at least one of your earlier patches caused my processes to die of
SIGBUS errors even though I actually had memory left. That's not
acceptable either.

Linus