Re: Patches Web Site/Newgroup?

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:03:50 -0400 (EDT)

Martin Mares writes:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Tim Smith wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 sfrost@ns.snowman.net wrote:

>>> The best way to do this that I can think of at the moment would be
>>> to have a mailing address where patches are sent that is then
>>> converted into a simple web page that lists email address the patch
>>> originated, any line that has 'DESC:' at the beginning of it, and
>>> a link to either the actual email or just the patch itself.

>>> This email address could also CC: Linus everything it receives so
>>> that even if this was not a plausible way for Linus to traditionally
>>> receive patches others could use it to see what people have submitted,

This is great, since Linus does not have to change his ways.
We get a web page full of patches, and he gets them in email.
Procmail could even detect mangled patches and fix or return
them. Good patches could be converted into a format he likes.
(uudecoded gzip & raw patches last I heard, without MIME)

Headers like "From:" and "Cc:" ought to stay intact too.

> Well, in the end it is for Linus to decide, though I agre it would
> seem easier provided one had a good news-reader.

That could be considered "work".

If the system makes Linus change his ways, it will fail.
He can't be expected to change the way he likes to work.