Re: UDI discussion realities...

ketil@ii.uib.no
28 Sep 1998 09:31:57 +0200

Gerhard Mack <gmack@imag.net> writes:

> Once again x86 only drivers is a _bad_ thing for intel as they try to
> bring in the merced, we need to forget about the traditional intel = x86
> and remember that intel is moving in a diffrent direction.

Maybe. If Intel considers themselves to be a small player competing
with Alpha and Sparc on equal terms, then yes. But they may as well be
trying to make a quantum leap from world domination through x86 to WD
with Merced.

Look, both HP and SGI have more or less decided to terminate their own
architectures and turn to Merced, and even the contenders have decided
to port their family jewel software - Solaris and DU - to Merced. Don't
you think native Merced drivers are more likely than native Sparc/Alpha
drivers? And who will write native MIPS-drivers?

And of course, if Intel can ensure that Microsoft continues their
nominal support of Alpha, but are with Intel all the way on the Merced
thing, Merced may well become *the* 64bit platform..

But anyway - I didn't realize UDI had a platform independent binary
architecture. That does change things quite a bit IMO.

~kzm