Re: PCI_LATENCY_TIMER

Sun, 27 Sep 1998 21:16:02 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, B. James Phillippe wrote:

> Hello. Perhaps someone can comment on my PCI device settings:

Latency timer is 255 for all devices of your system. These value is
obviously too large in theory (modulo chip bugs), but will not have bad
effects on your system, in my opinion, since your devices are not using
large bursts over the PCI.

The NCR 810 is using 16 DWORDS max bursts, the ethernet controller is
probably not able to sustain larger burst and the display controller will
probably never act as a master. So any value greater than 30 for the
latency timer of PCI devices will not make significant differences even on
heavy system load, in my opinion. And on heavy load, your system will
probably not need more than 30% of the PCI BUS bandwidth. That's the case
for most of existing systems that are so able to accomodate very different
latency timer values without any stomach problems.

This would be a different situation if your system was using very fast
devices capable of large bursting accross the PCI BUS. For example,
Ultra2/Wide SCSI driving several fast hard disks + video input + a couple
of 100 Mbit/sec eth boards at the same time.

My initial complaint was against net drivers silently setting the latency
timer to its largest possible value and my goal was certainly not to
launch some latency timer paranoia.

Regards,
Gerard.