Re: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:59:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Actually, there is one problem now, which makes this discussion
> academic. We stand on the edge now. Seems, it is not widely known
> fact, but current Linux CANNOT handle >~100Mbit interfaces.

It seems that you're not aware that people are already doing ATM and
getting reasonable throughputs (apparently mainly limited by memory
bandwidth).

We may have too small receive queues (I think they default to something
like ten packets), but I doubt we have any fundamental problems.

Linus