Re: [2.1.122] hosed on Alpha?

Dan Morrill (morrildl@nycap.rr.com)
Sun, 12 Jul 48409 21:40:56 -0400

Well, I lurked for a while, hoping someone more knowledgable
would point these out for me, but I haven't seen anything about
them, so I figured I'd better report them before 2.2:

First problem:

According to the gods of SMTP, Keith Baker wrote:
> Yup... Well TGA loads for me, but the kernel hangs shortly there after...
> 2.1.115 is the most recent that I can get to even boot... I can't get ipx
> to load... I'm using a Multia

I have an Aspen Systems Montrose (AKA SX164) with a Matrox
Millenium II that doesn't even get that far with either 2.1.121 or
2.1.122: it just hangs after MILO jumps to the kernel with no
messages. (SX164-derived mainboard with a 21164PCA.)

Second problem:
With all kernels after 2.1.116 (I haven't tried anything earlier),
DHCP doesn't work. It claims that it couldn't access the eth0
device to ifconfig it. (Sorry, I don't have the exact error
message on hand, since I deleted all older kernel source
and 2.1.122 doesn't boot. :) I will redownload 2.1.119 and
get the exact message, if anyone thinks it will help.

The ethernet card in question is a DEC DE500.

Dan Morrill
Computer Scientist, Physicist