Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:33:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Terry L Ridder wrote:

> 1. Give, with no strings attached, the UNIX source code to FSF aka RMS.
> 2. Give, with no strings attached, the UNIX source code to Linux
> International.
>
> Any of the above scenarios would surely have major impacts on Microsoft,
> and Bill Gates.

You've forgotten that Micro$haft owns SCO. I believe this is what Bill
Gates is really up to; trying to tie us up with useless UDI junk and and
benefit from it at our expense.

So, personally, it's thumbs down on this one. Why don't *we* counter with
our own GPL'd unified driver interface? That will put the kibosh on them;
especially if we can persuade some smaller commerical players to
participate, and ignore the SCO/UDI initiative. They will have no choice
but to follow us - we can use the same tactics Microsoft used with DR-DOS.
That is, force an Oops if faced with a UDI/SCO aka MS driver. That'll
teach the bastards to screw with us like what they did to DR-DOS with
MSDOS/Windows 3.1. Ain't nothing like a taste of cold nasty medicine..

Sheesh, I'd better put on the flame proof trousers (I know there's
someone from SCO in here)

Cheers,
Alex.

---