Re: NFS Data CORRUPTION Between Linux and SunOS 5.5.1

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 19:33:37 -0400

Ben McCann wrote:

> We see NFS data corruption between an Linux NFS client and a SunOS
> NFS server. It occurs when running 'ld' which, I assume, does
> extensive random access to the file. Under 2.1.102, our test case
> fails with almost EVERY link with 'ld'. (BTW, it works fine with
> 2.1.84).
>
> I was unable to reexamine this problem until this week so I thought
> any further testing of 2.1.102 was silly given 2.1.121 has been
> released. So, I've retested with 2.1.121 compiled for both UP and
> SMP. The problem is MUCH better, but it still occurs. I ran 'ld'
> over our test set of objects, writing the final executable to an
> NFS mounted file system. I had 3 failures in 120 trials.

Hi Ben,

I saw your report of a month ago or so, but when you didn't follow up I
assumed that the problem the problem had gone away. Anyway, I'll suggest
again that what would be very helpful would be a tcpdump of a session
where you get a corrupted file, and a corresponding tcpdump of the same
file being written without error. Then we can diff the tcpdumps and see
what may have triggered the error.

Since your report indicates that the problem happens more or less
randomly with reasonable repeatability, it shouldn't be too hard to
capture such a session -- maybe just a script to repeatedly link a file
until it turns out corrupted.

Regards,
Bill